February 4, 2013

Home School Discipline

I don't have all the answers.  I don't have every experience for every possible child.  I do have experience based on my own children.  Do I have frustrations?  Of course!  Do my kids have weaknesses?  Yes!  I have weaknesses as well.

One of the biggest things I struggle with right now is when to hand over accountability for work done or not done to them?  I am so very certain that this is the time of my children's lives where they show not only how much they know, but blatantly show their weaknesses as well as MY flaws.

I love my kids deeply.  I so need to step back and let them reap the benefits or detriments of their life's choices whether it is a good use of their time or not.

It comes right down to--obedience to me as a parent, respecting my position as authority in their lives, and whether or not they're going to respond to my assignments for them.  If their choice is to disobey and disrespect me, then there needs to be consequences in place that would help them realize they need to obey and respect me in my God given role as their parent.

Ephesians 6:1-3  
Children, it is your Christian duty to obey your parents, for this is the right thing to do.  
(2)  "Respect your father and mother" is the first commandment that has a promise added:  
(3)  "so that all may go well with you, and you may live a long time in the land."



This means every child, not just mine, who needs to be obedient and respectful to their own parents.

This is what every parent struggles with at some point in time or another.  It doesn't matter what the circumstance or the situation, if the child is disobeying or disrespectful [however you decide that in your own home], it needs to be handled swiftly.



Proverbs 19:18  
"Discipline your children while they are young enough to learn. 

If you don't, you are helping them destroy themselves."  (ISV)

No comments: