October 12, 2012

Parenting Young Adults


As I sit here typing this post, the sun is just beginning to pour it's light into the sky.  It is almost 8AM and it is difficult for my young ones to open their eyes this time of day.  Yes, I have young adults, but for some reason when the sun heads south, their young bodies have difficulty rising earlier than 7AM.  Since it is dark outside, sleep is on the agenda.  

I hear some movements, but nothing like busy day chores being done or breakfast being prepared.  It's the "I've just woken up" kind of movement--very slow.


I'm finding it difficult in this time of my life to keep having those "diligence" conversations with them.  The ones where we read and discuss the scriptures about the lazy man in his field and those sorts of things.  It just seems their biological need for now is to sleep a little longer.  The difficult part of this arrangement is in the Spring when it's time to pull them out of it and get them up for working.  

Then, I ask myself, "Is this my own preconceived opinion that they should be getting up earlier and not sleeping in?"  Perhaps I've concerned myself too much over nothing?


Choices...choices!

*sigh* 


It's time to be the "bad guy" and get them up and moving.  I've been awake since 5:20AM, exercising,  praying, reading, taking care of bills.  

Perhaps that 9PM bed time is a good thing?!

1 comment:

Coffee Mommerz said...

I have had a hard time deciding on when to wake my teens. I tend to let mine sleep in a little, but it is more cause I like a little quiet in the morning, and we are all late night people. I also know when they have to get up they will. Every Sunday Shane has a job at church and as to be there at 7 am, which means leaving here on his bike at 6:20am. He gets himself up and out the door every time.