December 31, 2011

Income Tax Time

As I've spent today, off and on trying to go through all of our income tax information to double check and be possitively sure that everything is correct, I've found so many of my own mistakes.  These mistakes require me to reassess everything in Quicken.  Every.  Single.  Category.  And.  Entry.  I've found that there was one receipt I'd kept with a card plan just in case something gets broken.  This has totals on it that we'd spent on JL's birthday gift this past year.  I forgot how much it was and that I didn't enter it.  When looking at the totals for gifts for the year, I've found that his total was the lowest for that reason.  Now, I know he wouldn't care.  But, I do.  It isn't so much that his total was the lowest.  It is just that I know.  I report everything to my husband with regard to the running of the home and family, so I need to show him accurate records. 

This is just one example of what I've needed to do.  There's more.  Lots more.  But, with working on it little by little each day, I'll get it done and taken care of. 

Fortunately, I've already purchased my nice new receipt holder for 2012.  :)   How about you?  How do you keep track of your spending and receipts?

No comments: