September 24, 2011

Autumn, Oh Glorious Autumn!

Things have been quite busy here lately finishing up summer projects, decorating for Autumn and beginning to look toward Christmas plans. 

Today was lovely, gorgeous in fact.  We were invited to our friends' house for a picnic/cookout and what a wonderful time we had.  Our friends are friend my husband has worked with for 6 years and such wonderful people.  We don't often get the opportunity to visit with people my husband works with, but when we get an invitation we try very hard to go. 
Mr. G & JL playing lawn darts.

Of course, as with every party or gathering when there is a fire, you can find my hubby sitting beside it.  He gets such refreshing peacefulness just enjoying a fire.  Who can argue with that?

Many of our days are spent working together, side-by-side or at least in the same room on projects or cleaning while around the fire, or while one is tending the fire the rest of us are getting chores done quickly so we can gather around the fire. 

Time is quickly passing for us to complete our chores for the Fall and get our wood done so we can "batten down the hatches" in preparation for Winter.  My goal is to have everything inside done by October 15th.  I have my various lists.  I need my hubby to help me take care of a few things that only he can do to his specifications, but other than that, I'll do the rest. 

On this final day spent before my next birthday, it is all good.  The good and the not so good.  The Lord is using all things to mould me and grow me.  I praise Him for that.  What lovely thoughts to dwell on!  I know that this evening I was asked, "Weren't your 30's just wonderful?"  I thought for a minute and said, "I had a very turbulent time in my 30's.  I like my 40's much better."  Yes, it is true.  I had just learned about Biblical Submission (you know...the kind that doesn't equate to "doormat" status), and worked and worked and worked and...well, you get the picture...to desperately try to regain lost time.  We'd already been married 10 years when I hit 30, and you know you the story well, I'm sure~"If only I knew this stuff when I was first married we wouldn't have had so much trouble from the beginning!"  I still feel so very convinced that every young lady should learn Biblical Submission before being married because it would make things so much easier than the beginning of my own marriage.  The power struggles, the financial struggles, the words that were not very loving nor kind...

But, looking back I see in the Lord's wonderful and magnificent grace, I had to go through all those things to simply get to this side and realize that He has something more, something beautiful in store for me. 

What does that look like?  I'll save that for another day.

No comments: