March 30, 2016

No, I'm not Wonder Woman!

I was reminded a few minutes ago, that I needed to not only grant others grace, but to grant myself grace.

You see, two of my three young folks are off to a training weekend with Civil Air Patrol.  Their chores were done yesterday before we left, but inevitably with dogs, you have fur--especially in the early Spring.  Wait a minute!  What am I saying?  There's hair A.L.L  T.H.E. T.I.M.E!!!!   Needless to say, vacuuming up the hair in the corners and where dust bunnies decide to gather is an essential job to do daily.  The mopping/swiffer wet jet is done two or more times a week with an off white tile floor.  I was planning to swiffer wet jet after vacuuming, but my lower back and hips started to ache.  Do I continue or do I take something for the pain, go sit down and have my coffee and rest my back for a bit until the pain goes away? 

I decided a blog post about granting oneself grace would be good.  I started re-reading a blog post by my friend, Lisa, and realized that she covered it well too, but from her perspective as a homeschooling mom who has returned to school.  Whatever your circumstance, whenever you push yourself too far without granting yourself permission to sit down for 15 minutes, you are setting yourself up for pain, resentment, and you miss out on possible precious moments with loved ones or with the Lord.

I like to take the FLYlady approach to getting things done around my house:  You can do anything as fast as you can, in 15 minutes.  In that 15 minute time frame you may not be able to complete the mountain of dishes in your sink and on your counters, or completely tackle the ever increasing "Mount Washmore" in your laundry room, but you'll be able to take baby steps.  Disclaimer:  If you look at the FLYlady website and read about her system, you'll notice that she promotes getting dressed to the shoes with your hair and face done every morning.  As I type this, it is 6:19AM.  I've been up since 5:00AM and I'm sitting here in my pajamas with my hair done...or rather tossed up in a barrette and side pony tail.  I thought I'd get some blogging done while I have my morning coffee and devotions, then get my painting clothes on--minus the shoes, and get my entry way and hall way edges painted before the kids get up at 7AM.  LOL  I like the quiet.  There isn't any grumpy people to deal with.  LOL


This is my work today.  I have never used this dark of a tan before, but I liked the rich coffee & creamer look to it.  This is only the first coat, so of course it will need more than this.  It is coming along, though!  My plan is to paint all the trim white.  It was a mauve color, so we're changing it up a bit.  The flooring will go in last and it will be the same type that we used in our bedroom.  I just didn't want to put the flooring in first, then slop paint on it.  LOL  The first door to the right is where my office/sewing area is.  It will be painted next, Lord willing.  I've not firmly decided what color to do in there yet.  I'd love to do a nice soothing blue, but I'm thinking it might not be a good idea.  I might get super creative and do a base color and a stripe across the room with an artistic touch.  This is what the kids and I had done in the boys' Pennsylvania bedroom:


The stripe was so much fun and creative!  And, if you notice, I tried duplicating it in the valances with the stripe on the bottom.  We tried bringing in some desert sand colors, then balance or offset with the blue marbleized fabric for the main valance color.  I've been watching Fixer Upper and it seems that muted grays and whites are often used in that show, so everyone is emulating JoJo's designs, or at least trying to.  I'm not one to go with current trends, but I use my home as my color palate.  I try to find timeless pieces that are beautiful to me and colors that I love to decorate with.  If I can't find those timeless pieces, I make do with something functional--like the side table in the picture above--it doesn't go with the bunk bed, but it's functional.  LOL  I frequent yard sales, facebook flea market groups, estate sales, and I try to go to auctions to find things that will work for a specific area.

There are so many different things I'd like to do to my GA house, but I have time constraints and I need to save for the other things I'd like to do--like a new front door to let in more light.  I've also been drawing out raised garden bed plans and other ideas for the front yard are swirling around my head too.  We'll see what happens with it all.

Almost two weeks ago, when I wrote the introduction to this blog post, my dining room and living room were being painted.  I have finished and I promise that I will update with finished pictures, but I wanted to get one with everything in place--including the new ceiling fan and scriptures I've found for the wall. I promise I will take pictures and post them!

No, I'm not Wonder Woman and I've never claimed to be.  I am a woman who is saved by grace from the Lord Jesus Christ.  I am also a woman who needs to grant grace to myself more often than I do.  I need to love myself enough to push myself enough to get the needful done, but rest when I need to, to just be, pray, read, recharge, so I can get up refreshed and ready to tackle the next 15 minutes.

God Bless,


No comments: