Once we moved out here to NWPA, I acclimated to this climate, adjusting to the changing of the seasons, preparing for each one as they came along. Once I had been here for a few years, I noticed a problem with the changing of the seasons. In the fall after having the heaters on for a few weeks, I had developed these twice yearly sinus infections. I could almost depend on their arrival like clock work. When we finished all the harvesting, canning, dehydrating, and freezing, it was time for my sinus infection. The second time was right around St. Patrick's day. I could time them every year.
As time continued, I went to one Dr. after another. One Dr. told me to get a cool mist humidifier. I did that and it helped. One Dr. suggested that I use this asthma inhaler for those times when I'd have sinus infections. Yet another Dr. told me that I needed to get use to this flow of how my life was going. I didn't like that particular bit of advice, so I continued looking for my fix to this health problem. As I studied sinus infections and their causes, I noticed that it was always when the heat turned on in the fall that they would come along. I wondered if there was a connection between the dust in the air, the temperature we set the thermostat at, and the amount of moisture in the air that caused these problems. I started experimenting.
Let me stop and just say how wonderfully supportive and understanding my husband has been through my quest to find a good way to fight getting these sinus infections. He has endured nights where he would rather have the window closed because he was cold, but he's loved me and wanted me to be able to breathe well and not get another sinus infection.
I had made it to a point in my life where I loathed the change of the seasons. Not only did I get sinus infections, but I also had Seasonal Depression. My attitude stunk. I hated the change of seasons. I missed the spring and summer busy-ness of planting, pruning, cutting grass, harvesting, and all that goes in to the gathering time. I enjoyed the flowers and the sunshine. My California "girl" was showing. I had been spoiled with the temperate climate of California and my dis-contentedness was causing my spirit to become bitter.
It wasn't until I'd asked God to show me where I was sinning that I realized this was happening.
For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; a time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace. What profit hath he that worketh in that wherein he laboreth? I have seen the travail which God hath given to the sons of men to be exercised therewith. He hath made everything beautiful in its time: also he hath set eternity in their heart, yet so that man cannot find out the work that God hath done from the beginning even to the end. I know that there is nothing better for them, than to rejoice, and to do good so long as they live. And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy good in all his labor, is the gift of God.
(Ecc 3:1-13) [emphasis mine]
God is faithful. I love winter for the beautiful snow it brings, hot cocoa, tea, and warm fires. I love playing games with my family, getting more sewing done as well as cranking out afghans that can sit on my lap during the cooler months. What a blessing!
I love the other seasons for their loveliness just as much, sometimes more just because I'm one of those who loves prolific flowers, swimming, biking, and hiking. But, since my prayer has been to enjoy each season for the uniqueness it brings, I have done just that.
This week, while the temperatures have caused the little bathroom's pipes to freeze, the heater to stop working in the 2nd floor, nose boogies to freeze upon walking outside and breathing deeply, and people stuck inside; I have enjoyed refilling my kitchen drawer with dishcloths. I have enjoyed a rousing game of Farkle around the fire. I've enjoyed my many cups of tea, chicken soup, chili and I might enjoy another batch of creamy pumpkin soup by the end of the week. I don't do much of this through the summer. It is worth enjoying because of the wonderful folks here under my roof to enjoy those things with.
As a side note, while I am warm inside, I do know of and appreciate those who do have to be outside in the frigid temperatures from the farmers to the utility workers. My enjoyment of this "season" is a triumph of sorts for me because it hasn't always been that way.
I can't say that this transformation has occurred suddenly because it hasn't. I had to endure quite a few depressively low times to get to where I am now. But, the Lord is faithful. I currently take vitamin D to help with the seasonal depression; I decrease the thermostat by 2 Degrees F at night so the air doesn't get so dry to begin any type of sinus infection; I use a nasal rinse at the first sign of sinus congestion and it keeps the infections away. I've not used a humidifier in a couple of years because I've found something that works. I've learned to work with the changes of the seasons and have found things to occupy my time and be content right where I am, doing all the things I do for this season, resting because I know that once the snow melts, the busy time begins...in a whole new season.
God Bless,

No comments:
Post a Comment