March 5, 2011

My Mega Shop Buddy of the Day

This is JL last year around June.  He just had an accident trying to toss a ratchet strap over a tree branch.  He was trying to make a sturdy swing.  When he tossed it, the hook hit the branch and came back and hit the bridge of his nose.  He was so very brave while getting cleaned out and stitched up.  He was crossing his eyes at the Dr making him laugh.  What a silly guy! 

This was taken on his birthday about a month after the above incident occurred.  You can barely tell there is a spot on the bridge of his nose. 

Yesterday was our mega shop day.  When I say mega shop, the meaning of that is it is the day chosen to go to a far away town to get all of our groceries, household items, any home improvement items (that I can pick out by myself), electronics, business related items and so forth.  This means I need to have a list.  I do have a list, a very good one, in fact.  I love it because it makes things so that I really don't have to think much, just follow the categories, check the menu, check what we have, then check what we need.  It's very simple.

With list in hand, JL and I head out to do our mega shopping for the first time ever in our new (to us) Blue Laviathon (lovingly dubbed by Daddy).
Daddy bought this for us this week.  What a Godsend!  The Lord really guided and directed his footsteps with this purchase and what a blessing it was accompanying us on our first megashop with it. 

JL and I went to Homedepot and bought a super duper mega heavy duty shelving unit for my sewing room to house all kinds of boxes, bins and office supplies.  This huge shelf fit very easily in to the back without a problem.  We also bought our seeds for this coming planting season.  We are getting so very excited that our planting season is almost here!

Next we went to the Kitchen Collection store.  I could spend a very long time in that store, but I was only there for a new garlic press and a plunging measuring cup, much like the one from Pampered Chef.  JL was so very helpful and finding some neat finds that once canning season is close at hand, we'll have to go back and make those purchases.  For now though, this was all we needed at that store.

After getting our treasured stored away in the very back of our beautiful blue whale, we decided that we were hungry.  The time was just right too.  We decided to go ahead and eat before the lunch crowds came about and went to Hoss's.  JL doesn't remember ever going to a Hoss's restaurant, so it was fun just watching his reaction to this "masculinely" decorated restaurant.  We ordered the salad bar and a hamburger & fries to share.  I didn't have to direct him to get veggies first, he just went there and loaded his plate full of wonderful greens.  He found the nacho bar and got a scoop of beans too.  He loves my Lumber Jack Beans and has ever since he was a year old.  While he liked those beans, he said, "These are good mom, but nothing can compare to your beans!"  What a wonderful compliment for this momma!

After finishing our meal, we got serious about our shopping.  We went to Aldi's and bought everything that we could possibly get there on our list.  We do this every time we go because Aldi's is so much cheaper than the local Super WM.  I get the grocery cart while JL gathers boxes for me.  When he was done, he came to get things from me to put in to the cart as I handed them to him.  I don't usually get just one item.  I get multiple since we do our shopping every 2 weeks.  If at some point in time I'm not able to get to the store, I know we at least have some items that we can use still on the shelves at home because I've canned them myself or stocked up on them.

About half way through Super WM, JL told me that his legs were getting tired.  I asked him if he would like to pick out a new toy for Biscuit and a bone for Rustie while I picked out the household cleaning items.  He was all for that idea and willingly went to pick out those items. 
He sure loves this little dog!

After finishing in that area, I asked him if he'd like to find a bench to rest his legs.  We found one in the dairy area, so while I finished getting some cheeses, he rested.  He was fine ever since then, so we moved on to finish our shopping.  This particular Super WM didn't have a few things I was looking for, so we'll have to go to another one today or tomorrow to see if we can get this special item.  It is a secret and I don't want to give it away to the friend of mine who it is for!  :0) (just in case she reads this)

After loading every single item that we bought in to our new blue whale/laviathon, we had SO MUCH room to spare!  I couldn't believe it!  We even purchased a few extra items as well, so it really gave us a good feel for how everyone and everything would fit inside with all of us going to mega shop.

While the next mega shop is in 2 weeks, Lord willing, I'll not be able to go with my next buddy for about 5 or so weeks.  This was purposely planned for time to spend with each child individually throughout the year.  They need to talk about different things they're concerned about and it is much easier to talk one-on-one with mom.  They also would like time to look around to shop for gifts for their siblings for birthdays or Christmas.  This is the perfect time to be able to accomplish those things too. 

We had a wonderful time laughing and talking, working and getting things done.  Praise God!

No comments: