As much as I try, as much as I work, plan, and pray over those plans, something continues to throw a "monkey-wrench" in to my day.
This morning, out of sheer exhaustion, I turned off my alarm that was set at 6AM so I could get up before everyone else, exercise, get my own personal hygiene done, then get breakfast started. While my body clock woke me at 7AM, that meant my exercising and personal hygiene had to be put off to another time to make sure breakfast was started and moving at a decent hour.
Now, I'm going to stop here and answer a question that I'm sure is running through your mind. Why can't those "young adults" get up to make breakfast for the family? Usually they do, and they have been since long before both of my surgeries in Feb 2015 & July 2016. Things are changing, bodies are changing, needs are changing, sleep patterns are changing, and change we must if we are to continue and have a productive life. So, within the past 2 weeks, I've realized my youngest son does not eat until he "remembers" later on in the day which happens to be around 2PM. He's busy, he does school work, chores, drinks coffee, does more school, does things for his Daddy when he gets home, works on forging knives, then just forgets to eat. I could sit back and do our personal family business in the morning while he makes breakfast, but I realized they really don't like pulling together a Trim Healthy Mama meal for me, unless it is something they would like to eat. Yes, THM is good body/brain food, but they just don't like putting together shakes, muffins in a mug, anything really that can be labeled THM. So, I thought I'd come up with a plan!
Mondays-Shakes--whatever I feel like or have on hand. Yesterday it was a Strawberry Cheesecake Shake. And my oldest didn't have any GERD issues with it! Yeah!
Tuesdays-Eggs & Bacon--this morning I made home fries because I thought they would like that. I use to make them and throw it all together in one skillet, but separating them allowed me to stay "on plan."
Wednesdays-Muffin in a Mug--not sure what I'm going to feel like tomorrow. I may do an Apple Cinnamon muffin, but we'll see.
Thursdays-Grits--just for my youngest. Since moving to Georgia, he LOVES them! In my Sunday School class occasionally someone brings grits, so I text him really quick before class starts to let him know. He shows up right after his class is done just to get some grits. LOL I'll probably have cottage cheese with sunflower nuts. 😉
Fridays-Yogurt, Fruit, & Nuts--more for me than anything else. I'll make it up and if they want it, they'll eat it. If not, they can do something else.
While one of the greatest purposes for my planning and doing things in this fashion is to make sure my youngest eats, it also brings the 4 of us together to at least pray together, talk for a little bit, and start our day right. We've been "hit and miss" with everyone's crazy schedules lately, so it's time to bring us back to the table, back together to love one another.
Now to work on my dinner menus! That, in and of itself, is going to be one of the biggest challenges yet! I'd love to stay "on plan" but with everyone's varied needs, and etc, things are difficult, at best. Believe me when I say that I've tried making THM for everyone, but adding in some "on plan" cross overs for meals. Eventually, my husband who goes through phases of feeling like he can never get satisfied, inevitably goes for the chips, pb&j's, ice cream, nuts and everything else AFTER dinner. Ugh! The grocery bill is seriously a concern for me! So, I pray about what to do, observe, and try to "go with the flow."
For now, Mondays is hot dogs or hamburgers with fixins. I don't use a bun, so it's all good. Tuesdays is whatever everyone feels like. Wednesdays I'm struggling with eating at church, which I love because I don't have to make dinner and there is wonderful fellowship, but I feel like we should eat here, then go to church. Once again, a struggle. Thursdays is whatever we feel like (see, no planning!), Fridays I've been giving over to my oldest son to plan and execute, and another day for my daughter when she's off work. My youngest son does the grilling, so that's about it. I'm kind of in limbo right now, so we'll see how I can pull things together.
Well, it's time for me to go get some lunch, which is always either a sandwich on sourdough with low-low-low fat stuff on it, or an "S" salad. It makes things easy. 😎
Have a Blessed Day!

No comments:
Post a Comment