I have always enjoyed making my own clothes. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do it much in recent years due to appointments, teaching classes and just generally being busy.
What I loved most was finding my patterns as cheaply as possible, then finding the fabric I need and buying it in bulk, making whatever garment as inexpensively as possible.
However, that is not possible in every case. I have purchased a pattern at full price, paid full price for fabric and made a prom dress for my daughter and it turned out beautifully. Fabric is not cheap, neither are patterns. So finding what will work or look nice is a challenge sometimes. I like buying "lots" of patterns in my size or my daughter's size on ebay. It is usually very cheap to buy 10 patterns for $4.95 to get that "one" pattern that would normally cost $15. Yes, I've done that before! 😄
I've made my daughter a robe from polar fleece that I found at a yard sale one year. She was very warm and cozy and loved the robe.
As for everything else, fabric is becoming very scant at yard sales and thrift stores. You have to look at sales, coupons, and work hard at getting it inexpensively.
Another method of making one's own clothing is by either crocheting or knitting. Currently, I am getting some shirt patterns together to knit in the next couple of months. I want to have a more modest cut of clothing, but comfortable and "flowy" if that is a word. I've found some free patterns on Ravelry that I'm going to try and I just need to get my yarn together and get started. I have some summer shirts to both sew as well as knit and/or crochet, then I'll review and decide where to go from there. In the mean time while I wait to get my yarn gathered, I'm starting another shawl started as a gift.
Hand crafting items has become a thing of the past. I am trying to keep the craft alive by teaching the next generation these basic skills at one of our homeschool groups. I would love to continue long past the time when my children graduate, but we'll see. I'm getting ahead of myself. Needless to say, I have quite a few skirts, shirts and shawls to make this year. We'll see how many I can accomplish by Christmas 2017. I know what you're thinking...and of course I'll post pictures! 😊
And with that I will bid all of you adieu for 2016. My next post will be in 2017, so I'll "see" all of you next year! LOL
Have a Blessed Day!
In Christ,

No comments:
Post a Comment