Why?
My husband took a 2nd trip up to PA to get more of our things. Come to find out, the things I need to put away belong inside some furniture that is still in PA. So, I just pile all those things on the dining room table until the hutch and buffet table arrive here so I can put them away. On second thought, I'll just line the wall with them so I can start serving dinners at the dining room table! Yes! I think that will work! :) I'm missing our "family table" and after having over 2 or so months of "eating where we can" it's time to get that going again.
I have no side tables for what is now the living room at this time, but, I do have ONE living room lamp here. Hopefully soon I'll be able to get everything put together. I feel myself getting so very frustrated because my home is not coming together as quickly as I would have liked. Currently our "Living Room" is my Sewing Room/Sitting room until we can get the AC on the other side of the house fixed. The technician should be making contact soon, hopefully. I've wanted to get moving on my sewing by now, but I need to get things put away before I can sew. The main reason for that is because I need to find my foot pedal for my sewing machine. All I know, that could still be in PA too! LOL
As I wait, I'm trying to tackle getting things cleaned up, put away and/or set aside for when the rest of the furniture arrives. I'm also trying to find an Armoire for my canning jars. I'm looking for something made from solid wood that we can gut, add some shelves, and put in the yellow room on the wall opposite of my kitchen. Who knows how that project will end up. We may line the wall with cupboards, who knows?! I've found some nice Armoires on Craig's list, so we'll see how things go. I'll post progress pictures as things move along.
What have we done since moving in here in Georgia? I'm glad you've asked!
- The carpeting was purged by a husband and wife crew before we got here on the 29th. They did some basic cleaning because it took an act of God Himself to get the water and electricity turned back on. It was turned back on on August 27th, so the cleaners didn't have time to do much cleaning.
- The exterminators have become our best friends. They have been here four times to help eradicate cockroaches, 2 times for termite protection. Upon closing we paid for a termite bond where they protect our house and/or fix any future termite damage should there be any once we've signed on with them. The roaches are fewer and fewer. I've found it to a point where it is "ok" to start putting my things in the drawers. I keep the roach bait handy though, so that when we see one, we put the little packets in the general area where we saw the roaches. We go days now without seeing them, then we'll see one and put out the bait station.
- With a great start by some wonderful friends of ours, we were able to get the house wiped down....everything! We started and within 3 days--even in the part of the house where the AC is down--every wall was wiped down. We took a little longer with the kitchen because it was a disgusting mess. We couldn't put anything away. So we spent the first 2 weeks here eating microwave dinners, sandwiches, and just very simple meals because of the roaches and bait in my kitchen. They would leave their little corpses in drawers and everything. I didn't want to put anything away until I knew they were eradicated. My husband bought bait stations and spray stuff that we'd used for the Lady Beetles in PA worked for roaches in GA! LOL
- My husband and sons have begun working on the flooring. If you look at my last post, you'll see our bedroom. If you look at the floor, that will be throughout the whole house with the exception of where the tile is currently. I think he plans to get more of it done after the 3rd and final trip to PA to get our things. That way there is nothing looming over his head to have to take care of in PA.
- Fencing was taken care of within the first day or so due to having the dogs. We wanted to make sure they would be contained. Once they got out there, they settled down and just relaxed. They knew they were supposed to be there. It was all good!
- Plumbing! Oh wow! We didn't have hot water coming from any of the taps. We just really had our hands tied with it....so after closing on Monday, we called the plumber on the way back to see if they could get out to the house to look at the hot water issue. They not only fixed the problem, but fixed the pool pump as well as a leak under the sink too! What a blessing by God! He said, "Welcome to Georgia!" We thought it would cost so much more than it did! Whew!
- The pool, Oh My Goodness! This was potentially a wonderful thing for exercise for all of us. However, it looked absolutely nasty scum covered pond like. Fortunately, I have the most awesome hubby! He got to work very quickly on the pool once the plumber took care of the pump! Awesome! Now it's beautiful!
- Odds and ends--there is always something to fix, something to redo, something to replace. We purchased a "quasi" foreclosure so it stands to reason that it is going to be more work. We're not afraid of it.
- The truck has been worked on for more money that we would have liked, but it needed to be done. We are so glad that it is done though!
- We've been to our homeschool group class days twice. Hubby and I have decided that we need to buy a different Pre-Algebra curriculum for our youngest so that the class he is taking makes sense for him with the curriculum they're using. I didn't know they would be so rigorous when I signed him up for it, so I need to bite the bullet and make the changes.
- I've finished my 4th hat for our Operation Christmas Child boxes! I just need to weave tails in. Next is a hat just like it to make it the 5th hat. I don't know if I'll get it done, but if I work each evening on it, I'm sure it'll get done. :)
- We've decided on a church and so far, youth activities locally. We're staying local for youth group and traveling almost an hour for church on Sundays at Sherwood Baptist Church. We'll see what happens on Wednesdays when the time comes. Sherwood has a lot going on for families on Wednesdays, but we'll see what happens. We're thinking we'll stay local for now, though.
Goals for the not so distant future:
- Find my foot pedal to my sewing machine so I can start making curtains for my house.
- Find and organize my sewing room and office so that I can get moving making not only curtains, but more aprons to sell.
- Get my armoire set up so that I can get my canning jars put away in their place whether they're filled with yumminess, or waiting to be filled with yumminess.
- Get my actual living room put together with side tables, lamps, TV, piano, computer so that everyone can congregate in there. I have to get the young men helpers to remove furniture from my sitting room and office where we are currently using as a living room. LOL I'll post pictures soon.
God Bless,



No comments:
Post a Comment