As I sit here in my reclining love seat, the living room around me is a shambles. There are boxes, books, papers, and clutter everywhere. The reality of moving after living here ten years is really setting in.
I've decided to begin with the books. I know that the books are a HUGE hurdle to overcome. Our homeschool group is having a book sale on May 4th, so I'm taking all of our books that have been weeded out and deemed sale-worthy or given away for free. A "freeing" thing for me is that after the sale is over, I am going to take the leftover books to Good W*ll and dropping them off. I've promised my husband that I wouldn't bring them back in to the house and I am following through with my promise. If you read my blog and go to the homeschool group, meet me at my vehicle before I leave and whatever I have left, you can pick through. It's yours!
Fortunately for me, it is only my living room that is disheveled. The rest of the house is in good order, or can be put in to good order in 15 minutes or less.
I have realized, only because it has been in my face so blatantly lately, that it is worth it to declutter the mail and file it right away. It is worth it to get the needful things filed, to declutter on a weekly basis, and to pitch the junk mail. It is worth it to burn the things that are over 7 years old. It is so worth it to get rid of junk!!! So many times I have overlooked getting rid of those little things just because they might be of use to me some day. I have overlooked things because I have been so very tired for so very long (Matthew 9:20) and the details have not been done. After my surgery, feeling so much better, I started slowly working on my house. It still isn't "up to par", but it is better.
After working on all of the books in the house, getting those packed in boxes and stacked neatly in the attic, it will be time to go through the craft items. I don't plan to get rid of much, but I plan to get it "move ready" so that nothing will be lost, broken, or jostled.
The next will be the filing cabinet. I have files and files of homeschooling papers, business papers and so forth that I need to go through to get rid of the "older than 7 years" items and burn it.
I am so pleased with the progress we've made to this point, though. We have 13 days until we show the house and I want to get all the above things completed by then as well as a good deep spring cleaning and finishing the last little bit of painting that needs to be done.
In light of my recent surgery, just a little over 2 months ago, I am getting my kids to do all the heavy lifting. They have been such a blessing to me! The Lord knows that I needed these kids' help years before I knew.
Mr. G has been busy getting all the little projects completed around the house. He just installed new flooring from the front entry way through the hallway, to the kitchen. It looks gorgeous! He just has a little nip and tuck to do with some wood in the kitchen, then some linoleum in the upstairs bathroom, then he'll be done. I'm so very fortunate to have such a wonderfully handy hubby!
Upon viewing hundreds of houses in Georgia, we've sifted through so many that are too close to flood plains. I never realized how important it was to be sure of that fact until I saw the potential for flooding in the variety of places. Thankfully, we have a decent list of houses that are far away from flood potential to look at when we visit shortly. Then all the fun begins!
Setting up housekeeping in another house, in another state almost 1,000 miles away is definitely an adventure! What is more of an adventure is that we're buying a "fixer-upper" to be on our way to being debt free. We are so very convinced that it is imperative for us to get debt free ASAP in order to be in a position to help others as much as we can--including supporting missionaries when we can. No one is going to help us do this, but ourselves, and we're going to make this happen for the sake of our future and the future of our children.
We are so very blessed to have been given new eyes to see the Lord's truth in "owing no man nothing but love." The thought of that freedom makes all the "fixer-upper" work that will need to be done seemingly insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
God Bless,


No comments:
Post a Comment