April 2, 2014

Dreaming of...

It is no secret that I've been dreaming of when my hubby is able to retire, moving to some (more) property out where we can have animals.  Why?  I know many who read my blog would wonder why.

I love animals.  I've loved them for a very long time.

Horses~



Sheep~


Cows~

Pigs~


Chickens~


Goats for milk~

I love the thought of keeping animals.  The thought of knowing where my food comes from is ever present, but not obsessing-out-of-control-needing-to-know-every-single-ioda, kind of thought that affects my life in many ways.  My husband has stomach sensitivities when it comes to dairy-sitting-out-too-long and so he cannot enjoy any kind of dressing, eggs, meats, etc sitting out on a salad bar when we go out to eat kind of thing.  We have to be careful to make sure he eats a french or vinegar and oil based dressing at those times.  There are also issues of food poisoning that we've had to deal with, not because the restaurant is not "up to par", but just because something sat out too long for my hubby's sensitive tummy.  Seriously folks, this just simply means an extra 5 minutes in most cases.  This is how sensitive he is.  And I, not wanting to put a damper on a nice evening out, try everything within my power to make sure he has good food when we go out that I know doesn't matter if it sits out--like a baked potato--past 5 minutes.  

We have canned food for years, as did our parents before us.  The tradition continues every year with a variety of plans to make more spaghetti/pizza sauce, stewed tomatoes, salsa, jams and jellies, beans, pickles, and other items to save the harvest for the winter.  I've planned and planned for all sorts of things only to come up short due to this or that blight.  My salsa has been something that has been greatly missed due to the blights from the past couple of years as well as omnivorous critters invading our garden.  

This year, we plan to put up a fence shortly after tilling the ground to keep the critters out.  We also plan to do our normal crop rotation making sure to put the beans and peas where they haven't been yet.  We try very hard to companion plant, but sometimes it just doesn't work.  This year I've purchased a book to pour over about--don't laugh--The Complete Compost Gardening Guide: Banner batches, grow heaps, comforter compost, and other amazing techniques for saving time and money, and ... most flavorful, nutritious vegetables ever.!  Hooray!  Yes, you can laugh...go ahead.  LOL  Rest assured, I will not be delving in to humanure!  Yuck!



My composting quest has been ongoing for years now.  The only problem with it is that it isn't in a container of sorts where it is easily spreadable after it's decomposed.  I'd like to purchase a compost bin like this one: Good Ideas 7-Cubic-Foot Compost Wizard Jr. and get it producing good soil for our gardens, herb, and flower beds.  I'm one who tries to work with the Lord and His creation to grow things.



1 comment:

Coffee Mommerz said...

sounds like a wonderful dream.