February 20, 2011

Actions and Re-actions

I'm sure that many myths abound about how our life may be a bed of roses with sunshine and lollipops all the time.  While this may be many people's view of our lives, this perspective may be from the outside looking in. 

Rest assured that we do have our fair share of troubles, squabbles, hurt, heart ache, sorrow, lonliness, selfishness, confusions, anger and so forth.  We would be the first to admit that we are not perfect...very far from it, in fact.    We deal with disobedience, rebellion and a variety of other sins with scripture as our guide.  We forgive quickly, or at least we work very hard to.

Why then, do I not write about those things that are in our home?  If you search either of my blogs, you might catch a glimpse of struggle, concern, irritation or pain.  But, honestly, is it really worth passing along a  bitterness to others?  I know that misery loves company.  I don't want to wallow in misery.  I don't want to soak myself or my family in a selfish "woa is me" rant that is repleat of any hopefulness. 

How is that I can do that when _____________ is happening around me?

First, I recognize that God is not surprised by the occurances of things around me or to me.  He's already fully aware of everything.  If He's got it all covered then why do I need to worry, fret and stew?  What good does it do to me or my family?  Nothing!  I CHOOSE peace.  Since I choose peace, then bitterness and his/her brothers and sisters will not follow.  If I cling to the promises in scripture that says,

Deu 31:6 Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.


Deu 31:8 And the LORD, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed.


Jos 1:5 There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.




1Ch 28:20 And David said to Solomon his son, Be strong and of good courage, and do it: fear not, nor be dismayed: for the LORD God, even my God, will be with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee, until thou hast finished all the work for the service of the house of the LORD.

If God says in His holy word "do not fear", then why should I? 

What should I do then?

Eph 6:10-24 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. (11) Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. (12) For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. (13) Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. (14) Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; (15) And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; (16) Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. (17) And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: (18) Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; (19) And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, (20) For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak. (21) But that ye also may know my affairs, and how I do, Tychicus, a beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord, shall make known to you all things: (22) Whom I have sent unto you for the same purpose, that ye might know our affairs, and that he might comfort your hearts. (23) Peace be to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. (24) Grace be with all them that love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen.

If we have the sword of the spirit and all the armor of God on, then we are fit to do battle, withstanding the devil's firey darts.

The greatest commandment we have is this:

Mat 22:37-40 And he said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. (38) This is the great and first commandment. (39) And a second like unto it is this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. (40) On these two commandments the whole law hangeth, and the prophets.


If you are finding that you do not know how to love, start by reading John 3:16 in your Bible.  This scripture in and of itself is the greatest amount of love the Father has shown to us.  If you don't own a Bible, go to e-sword.net and download a Bible.  If you don't want to download one to your computer for whatever reason, go to crosswalk.com and read it there.  (Click on the link, it will take you to John 3.  Page down to verse 16.) 

God also gives another definition of love in scripture.  That is,

1Co 13:4-7 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant (5) or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; (6) it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. (7) Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

If life throws all kinds of things you way, you have a choice of how to react.  There are so many things in each of our lives to be thankful for.  Will we react with bitterness and anger or will we have peace? 

What will you chose?

Blessings,

Regina

2 comments:

Folky Dots said...

Hi Regina! Somehow I failed to realize that you keep a blogger too! I happened to see your comment over at A Joyful Chaos and thought ...I wonder if that is Regina! And it is.
Nice to see you here.
Dana

Regina said...

:0) Thank you Dana!