January 8, 2011

Blustery Day Saturday

Today is a very blustery day.  We went to the church this afternoon to make pizza dough and cook them half way in preparation for tomorrow's pizza-by-the-slice sale.  The roads were covered very heavily, moreso than I've seen in a while.  The children asked if we could take the rental van since it had more room than the Explorer does.  I figured that since we still have it in our possession, we might as well use it, right?  Well, the roads were VERY slippery.  I love going around and looking at the surroundings while someone else drives.  LOL  Unfortunately, I was the one driving and had to concentrate on the slippy roads. 

We had an interesting time making our pizza dough at the church in the HUGE mixer.  What a time saver that was!  We finished all 12 pizza crusts in and half baked in 2 hours!  Praise God! 

Why all those pizzas?  Well, we were making pizzas for a pizza-by-the-slice sale to support missions.  We have volunteers from our congregation who go to a variety of places to support good charitable causes.  Last year the missions team went to Merci in North Carolina.  They arrange to get the disaster relief buckets ready to go out after floods, hurricaines and earth quakes. After the earth quake in Haiti, the buckets were depleted.  So, with our missions group, they not only filled buckets and wrapped them to go out, but they also built coffins (morbid, I know, but necessary) for sweet little babes.  There was a gentleman from our church who brought this particular mission home with him and built 99 more (now called cradles) to take down to the Merci headquarters this past October.  Our oldest son, DA helped on the project, sanding, hammering and gluing the wood for the coffins/cradles. 

Now the way home today was much more slippery than on the way over to the church.  It was much like this video that I took outside my front door in 2008.  Whew!   If you're thinking of heading to PA to live, please be prepared for winters like this!  Fortunately, this doesn't happen all the time.

Blustery Snowstorm

We spend quite a bit of our time inside in front of the fire, knitting, crocheting, reading, listening to the local Christian radio station, and just snuggling under a blanket with a little dog while we watch a movie.  HJ and I are getting ready to bring in the sewing machines and crank out some clothes for her.  We'll be working on skirts and some longer shirts for her.  I'll make sure to add some pictures when we're done. 

For now, though, it's time to get ready for the Lord's day. 

Blessings,
Regina

No comments: